Sunday 22 July 2012

If I could relive any day of my life…..


This is the thought-provoking writing prompt for this week. Hmm….

I must admit, I struggled with this question when it first came up as part of the Me,Myself and I linkup I took part in over on A Cat-Like Curiosity. 

What day could I relive? Have I had any days which were so wonderful that I would itch to go back there, relive them all over again?

My mind goes blank at the very thought. 

I suppose the other option is to look for a day where something had gone wrong and see whether I would want to go back and do things better this time.

Again, my mind goes blank at the very thought.

I consulted with MHI (My Handsome Irishman). I was met with a whole bunch of whistling sounds and hedging and a promise to get back to me.

This question is really hard.

So, I thought and I thought. A long process and a worrying one, at least initially. Why couldn't I think of any days that were so awesome that I wanted to relive them? Was that a bad thing? Is it sad that I am happy with the happy times - getting to hold my god-daughter for the first time, passing my driving test, buying my first flat by myself. I don't feel I need to relive them. They were good and great but now I am looking towards the next good things. Living in the now and looking to the future. Is that a bad thing?

It's interesting to me that my initial reaction was that there was something wrong - I couldn't think of any days I wanted to repeat and therefore that was bad. That meant I hadn't had any good enough days in my life to want to repeat them. I hadn't had any good enough times. It was only when I really thought about that I realised: this is in fact a good thing. This means I enjoyed the good times enough at the time of having them. And now I'm happy to look forward to the good times ahead.

As for days I'd like to relive and do over differently I guess I have too many of them really. Too many to count and too many to contemplate. From things as small as redoing a conversation and saying the right thing to completing changing my actions and therefore my outcome. I don't feel I want to dwell on those. I have done so in the past and I don't think it's a very healthy thing to do.

So, a little cheat on my part. I reframed the question to the following:

What days are you looking forward to living and why?

And here's what I was able to come up with:

1. Moving into and making a home of our new house. I can't wait to start that whole process again in a much more thriving community than the one we're living in just now.
2. Seeing my writing published, in whichever guise that may come. When that day comes I just know I will feel so happy and fulfilled.
3. Making a real tangible success of my Lifestyle Blog and my store. This day is getting closer and closer, I can feel it.

A much more fulfilling exercise for me and one which didn't rely on looking at the past through rose-tinted or overly critical spectacles.

Which days are you looking forward to in your future?


6 comments:

  1. so interesting I came upon your blog! I just began reading the lives of the saints...and how they gave up all expectations...between that concept and this post concept, I have a lot to think about!!!
    i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Mom (that sounds kinda weird now I've typed it.... you're not my mom of course!)

      Glad my little piece of writing made you think. Off to check you out now :)

      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Love your blog! That is a very hard question to answer. I love your conclusion. Your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to the day we find/build our dream home. We had a really bad bout with first home buying earlier this year and I just got frustrated with the whole process. I really want a forever home in state and city we all love. Hopefully that day is coming sooner than later.

    Thanks for stopping by and subscribing to YUMMommy! I'm your newest follower too. Looking forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete